October 4, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V

Date played: September 1st
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 9/10

It started with a couple more smuggling missions as Trevor. In a plane, I was tasked with bombing the competition as I flew over their little camps. The first time I tried, I dropped a bomb while being very close to the ground. I didn't crash or explode, but the plane's left engine started smoking and sputtering. It made it harder to fly, but I thought I would be ok if I was careful. What I didn't expect was that after about 2 minutes of flying, the other engine failed and forced me to retry the mission. The attention to detail in this game is staggering...

I then helped Nigel and his friend by nabbing a golf club from a famous person. I had to chase the guy with a golf cart. I shot his tires and he gave it up pretty quickly. I also stole clothes from a swimming star. Oh yeah and he saved a man trapped in a construction truck by moving debris with a powerful but slow bulldozer. Nigel, happy with Trevor's work, asked him to help him chase a famous man. We chased him around in a car for a while until he decided to crash through a hospital! I chased after him, drove out the building's window and caught him, only to stuff him in the old couple's trunk. Good times.

Micheal also had a bit of side quest action by saving his daughter Stacey from a creepy dude who followed her around. I had the choice of killing him or not, but I accidentally ran him over... she was pissed. I then finally played a story mission. Micheal met up with an FIB agent, a guy who helped him set up his new life after faking death. Somehow, he knows Micheal was responsible for the jewelry store heist so he blackmails him into getting some work done for him. I was tasked with infiltrating a morgue and identifying a dead body as the FIB agent seems to think there's a cover up going on. He hit Micheal on the head and somehow got him to be taken to the morgue. When I woke up, I killed the attendant and picked up a pistol. The mission had me navigate through the morgue, killing a bunch of security guards. Eventually, I found the body, identified it was indeed a cover up and escaped through the window and ran from the cops. I then met up with Franklin and it seems he's gonna help me deal with the blackmail bullshit.
Yep, I moved containers with a crane

Back to Trevor. He wants to make some money so he convinces Wade's cousin to take him to his workplace, a large ship yard, to scout out thieving opportunities. Reluctantly, he agrees and they dress up as dock workers then head out to the ship yard. To avoid raising suspicion, Trevor has to do some honest work. I drove a hilariously large forklift and moved some containers. I then used a giant crane to do the same. While the mission itself was boring to play, the dialogue was pretty awesome, filled with jokes about unions. In the end, Trevor figured out that there was some valuables to loot from a large cargo ship and from a nearby off shore vessel of some sort.

Cue the second heist. I had the choice of either getting the loot from the cargo ship or from the off shore vessel. I chose to go with off shore, as it involves a helicopter and a submarine and that sounds fucking great. Trevor got Micheal interested, and I'm sure Franklin will be in on the job soon as well.