October 5, 2013

LittleBigPlanet PSVita

Date played: October 4th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through a good portion of the story in LittleBigPlanet Vita. I completed the tech world which had some pretty crazy levels that required me to be quick to combine touch controls while using the grapple. It also had a really cool tilt level. I was controlling some sort of ball by tilting the Vita, jumping and boosting my way around a Sonic 2 Chemical Zone-like tube system. I then played through the entirety of the next world, themed around cars and vehicles. One of the coolest levels had me driving an odd triangle shaped vehicle with three wheels, one at each edge. As long as at least two wheels touched the ground, it would stick completely. The speed of the vehicle combined with the challenge of  getting two wheels to touch the ground made it one of the most fun levels.

Another level surprised me because it felt like...Bioshock Infinite's rail segments. I had to use the grapple to grab onto trains on rail segments in the sky. It felt amazing. There were also a lot of levels where I had to use the grabinator gloves to transport objects, bombs and other stuff to solve puzzles and progress. At the end of the world, I escaped from a giant metal eating robot in a junkyard...
It sounds crazy, but this was a lot like Bioshock Infinite's rail sections...but more fun

I also started what I believe to be the last world, a haunted house of sorts. The first level had me turn on light switches so that the ugly lady who hosted me could go forward and open doors for me. The next one was set in a dirty, spooky kitchen where I had to navigate burning fires, ovens and other kitchen stuff, but it was nothing as interesting as the previous world's crazy vehicle antics. Of course, along the way, I unlocked a ton of side activities and a fun arcade game where I had to guide a falling ball through a maze while picking up scattered orbs. To guide the ball, I had to touch portions of the screen to have walls disappear. It's hard to describe but it was a nice little distraction.