October 29, 2013

Spec Ops The Line

Date played: October 28th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

I've heard so many good things on the internet about this game and I know it's short, so I figured it would be a good game to play until I get my PS4. I ended up playing through the first 6 chapters. The game is a third person military shooter where three US soldiers are tasked with rescuing another. It's set in a sandstorm ridden Dubai.

While the graphics aren't as sharp as other great third person shooters like Gears of War, it has a very interesting look, considering it's Dubai and it's full of sand. The lighting effects are also pretty impressive. However, the characters, textures and geometry isn't all that great. Thankfully, the game plays surprisingly well. After GTA V, aiming in a third person game took me a few minutes to get back into, but ultimately feels a lot more rewarding. Ammo is pretty scarce too, though not enough to be a real problem. It does mean that I can't just spray and pray, encouraging careful aiming and squad tactics.
Dubai makes for a great video game setting

The weapons are standard fare, with assault rifles, shotguns, machine guns and submachine guns and a variety of grenades. One of the cooler features is that there are a few instances where I could shoot glass and have sand fall down on enemy soldiers.

However, the best part of the game so far is the intriguing story. There's CIA, a rogue US Army battalion and our three heroes. It's all really nasty, but essentially, I'm killing friendlies here. I'm interested to see more!