October 20, 2013

Pokemon Y

Date played: October 18th and 19th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through the second and third gyms. The rock based second gym was pretty difficult as many of the creatures had very high defense and my team still had three pokemon that were relatively low level. I beat it, but I had to go back to the pokemon center to heal often. This was made a bit easier with my shiny new yellow bike! That thing is fast!

I fought a lot of creatures in the caves leading to the third gym. That's where I got a few of my pokemon to evolve. Ivysaur is now a powerful Venusaur. Helioptile is now Heliolisk. Kirlia is now Gardevoir. Frogadier is now Greninja. Combusken is now Blaziken. Finally, Sandile is now Krokorok. Everyone is stronger than ever, most of them being around level 35 or higher. I've also picked up some TM's and an HM, Surf. Surf lets me ride one of my pokemon on water, pretty useful. I also have a rock smash and a rock push ability.

Gardevoir, fairy/psychic type
The third gym was interesting, but a lot easier. It's a fighting type gym, so my Gardervoir was the best pokemon to use throughout the entire place. I had to run back to heal again, but it felt a lot easier than the last one. As a reward, in addition to the badge of course, I was given a mega ring which allows certain pokemon to mega-evolve. This is a temporary transformation used in battle that increases the pokemon's power and appearance. For now, Blaziken, Venusaur and a Lucario I was given are the only ones that can do it. It looks cool and adds a bit of spice to the mechanics.