October 14, 2013

Pokemon Y

Date played: October 12th and 13th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I convinced my girlfriend to try playing a real game again. She used to play a lot in the past, stuff like Starcraft, The Sims and Final Fantasy Tactics, but in the last few years, she sort of stopped and played a few tap and wait games on iOS and social media sites. Those games aren't usually very deep though and I figured Pokemon was something she might want to try. Nintendo is pretty devious though, they only allow one save file per cartridge, forcing me to buy two versions of the game so that we could both play. I picked Y and she picked X. I also had to get her a system to play it on so that we could play at the same time! We ended up buying a 2DS, the new version of the 3DS...without 3D.

The device is actually pretty damn cool if you ask me. While the screens feel small compared to my XL and the dpad seems too small, everything else feels great. The biggest improvement is how much more comfortable it is to hold compared to the regular 3DS. It's very ergonomic, I like the shoulder buttons a lot.
I picked the frog, my girlfriend picked the fox

Pokemon Y feels like a really impressive step forward for the series, mostly because of the new 3D graphics engine. It was about fucking time this series updated it's old look... I picked Froakie as my starter, the water frog thing. This isn't my first time playing Pokemon, but I've never really gotten into it. The game starts the same way as every other game. I quickly built a team of low level monsters and beat the first gym, a bug type gym. I scored an exclusive fire type, Torchic, for connecting the game to the internet. He came in really handy in that gym. There's a lot going on in this game, mini-games, items, battles with multiple pokemon on screen and an extensive but confusing online suite of features.

I made it to the second large city, where I was given the choice of a free pokemon from the three original beasts, Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle. My team is now pretty balanced, featuring Frogadier, the evolution of Froakie, Combusken, the evolution of Torchic, Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Combee and Spewpa, an evolution of Scatterbug. I think I have a decent team, but I definitely want to replace either Combee or Spewpa, or both. I've been catching all the Pokemon I could, even if I don't plan on using them, it's fun!