May 9, 2013

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo

Date played: May 8th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

MGR:R is surprisingly fun, yet pretty damn frustrating at the same time. The game looks gorgeous, that's for sure.The animation is typical of a Platinum game, in fact, it looks a lot like Vanquish at times. This is a third person melee action game. While it's in the same genre as God of War and DMC, it surprised me because it felt different.

It actually felt a lot like a better produced Afro Samurai as many of the same concepts apply. There are similar moves like aiming the sword attacks while time slows down. Either way, that's generally a good thing. It took a while for me to understand how to play though as the tutorial is kind of shitty and doesn't explain much. After a bit though, I was parrying well and managed to slice some guys efficiently, but it's clear that this game has a deep combat system.
Fuck you wolf robot, fuck you.

After I made my way through a few regular cyborgs and a few mechs, I took on a weird wolf robot armed with a chainsaw. I tried this fight about 7 times before I had to leave and go to work. He hits hard, attacks quickly and is difficult to parry. I got him down to 25% or so on my best attempt. I'm not sure I really like this game too much, it feels a bit stiff, but then again, the system is complex enough that I could be just an ignorant noob about it.