May 15, 2013

Bioshock Infinite

Date played: May 13th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finally got around to playing Bioshock Infinite! I don't want to spoil anything so I will try to stay as vague as possible. Be aware though, this game has one of the best introduction sequences since....well, since Bioshock! I play as Booker Dewitt, the only info I really got about him is that he wants to "save the girl".

The game is set on Columbia, a city in the clouds. It seems like it used to be part of the USA but then became a nation of it's own. They have a leader who seems to be considered a prophet of some sort. Oh yeah, and these guys are totally fucking racist as hell. All non-whites have been pushed to the opposing faction known as the Vox Populi. Soon enough, Dewitt finds himself at a high class raffle where the winner gets to throw a baseball at an interracial couple... Dewitt wins of course, but I was given the choice to throw the ball at the couple or at the announcer. I chose the announcer but as I was swinging my arm, I was labelled a false prophet due to a scar on Booker's hand.
Infinite has an amazing art style
That's where the fighting started. I had a pistol, soon picked up a machine gun and was introduced to Vigors, Infinite's version of magic I guess. I have two vigors right now, a skill that lets me possess machinery and people to fight on my side and a sort of fire grenade thing. The combat is smooth and fun to play, though I'm not a big fan of the controller configuration (I'll check the options, I might be able to find something better). I also picked up a sky hook, a sort of magnetized device used to traverse the floating buildings through the air. I can't wait to see where this game goes as I've barely scratched the surface.