May 31, 2013

Grid 2

Date played: May 28th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finally have my hands on Grid 2! I've been waiting for a good racing game for a long time, I haven't really played a good racing game since the last Need for Speed game. I played through a few events for the two racing teams that I have unlocked. I also played a vehicle challenge event that let me unlock a new car.

First, the game looks stunning. I don't have the best PC around but it's good enough to play the game on high at 1080p with about 45 fps. I couldn't turn on the advanced lighting effects, as in the last Dirt game but it still looks pretty damn good. I played with a controller of course and the cars handle very well. A lot of people don't like the mix of simulation and arcade of this series but I think it works really well. I had no problems finishing on the podium for all events, though the wins were a bit more difficult on some of the events.

I drove an old Ford Mustang Mach 1 for a couple of races. I also drove an old Nissan Fairlady Z and a couple of other cars. They all feel pretty different and are fun to drive. The drifting mechanic works well and allows for some crazy speeds around the right corner. Most of my racing was done in Chicago so there were a lot of 90 degree corners. I spent a large amount of time customizing my paint jobs, mainly on the Fairlady and the Mustang.

I also played one quick multiplayer race. While I was 10th out of 12, I didn't realize that I could use the Flashback feature in multiplayer. Of course, it doesn't slow down time for all players, instead it sets you back on the track in the thick of the battle. Multiplayer felt good and people weren't acting like dicks so I hope it becomes popular.