May 21, 2013

Fire Emblem Awakening

Date played: May 19th and 20th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through another large portion of the story, Chapters 20 and 21. These are obviously pivotal chapters in the story as big villains are biting the dust now. Chapter 20 was an amazing battle against all of Valm castle, including a treacherous tactician, a valiant general and of course, the big red lobster himself, Walhart. The battle was fairly simple but quite lengthy and challenging. Since I've been fighting every random battle I can find and am restarting the game when I lose a unit I like, I've built up a very strong team that can take down almost anything.

I love my crew
After the encounter, we unceremoniously left with a new gemstone, the fourth of five. Right after that, we were offered the last gemstone by the Plegians, the sneaky bastards I fought a few times earlier in the game. Of course, it was a trap and we had to fight another army of bad dudes, including some very long range sages that could attack from almost anywhere in the map. Thankfully, I have pretty high resistance overall and made it through without a scratch to take down the boss. Unfortunately, there was a twist to this whole story! My player character is an amnesiac (typical Japanese games....) and it turns out that the Plegian bad guys could mind control him at will! The bad guy used his magic voodoo to force my character to give him the fire Emblem which is now complete with all five gemstones. I imagine the last few chapters of the game will be about the bad guys using it in some evil way which I will need to rectify. We shall see!