February 28, 2012

Uncharted 3

Date played: February 28th
Platform: PS3
Time played: 120 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

It seems I've finished Uncharted 3. It was a great game but I feel like I liked the second game a bit more, I think it's because there wasn't enough Helena in this one. Either way, I started by exploring the ruins of an old city in the desert, which, of course, was full of enemies. There was some cool stuff in there though like destructible ruins and stuff. After that, I was rescued by mysterious strangers on horseback who gave me a horse.

This was one of the better levels in the game
I then chased a convoy on horseback where Sully was being kept prisoner. It was a lot like the airfield level from the multiplayer beta I played this summer, jumping from truck to truck and back to my horse. After saving Sully, we discovered the hidden city we had been looking for the whole time.

This is where the game got a little too weird. Drake drank some water from a well in the hidden city and started to hallucinate. There were even some weird flaming head turban men who explode when they die... It was a bit silly and the visual effect used to show how Nate is drugged was annoying and ugly. To finish it off, he and Sully found the source of the water beneath the city. It turns out that this is what everyone was going after. It was a large relic at the bottom of the cave that was leaking a weird chemical that made people go crazy.

In the end, the old bitch died from quick sand without fanfare and I had a hand to hand fight with her right hand while the whole city crumbled around me. It was very similar to the end of Uncharted 2 actually. The epilogue was nice but it felt like the game didn't really have a story to hold it together. Time for an Uncharted break Naughty Dog?