February 7, 2012

Soul Calibur

Date played: February 6th
Platform: Dreamcast
Time played: 15 minutes
Session fun rating: 6/10

The Wii U's ancestor?
I was in my basement with my girlfriend and my 21 month old daughter. My daughter usually plays with her toys but today she grabbed a NES controller that was laying around, sat down in front of the TV and made sounds to get my attention. Having a heart, I found it so adorable that I looked for a game she was able to play and again, fighting games seem like the best option since she can just mash on the buttons and stuff happens. She also doesn't have to use the joysticks or dpads which require a bit more dexterity.

I went with the original Soul Calibur for Dreamcast. She likes watching the little characters bounce around on the VMU screen! Either way, she picked the Chinese girl (Xianghua?) and I went with Mitsurugi. She seemed to like the vertical attack and the kicks. We played a few more rounds where I used Sophitia and she used Taki. I know she's not really playing the game much yet but she is starting to see the link between pressing a button and seeing an action being performed on screen. I cannot fucking wait for her to beat me legit for the first time, that will be an epic moment!