February 29, 2012

Super Mario 3D Land

I killed these two guys dozens of times now
Date played: February 29th
Platform: 3DS
Time played: 115 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

I've finished Super Mario 3D Land and holy fucking mother of God this game is hard. Seriously, this game just got serious. I played through the end of Special World 7 and all of Special World 8 and I really had to concentrate on some of these levels. The worst ones is where there is very limited time, there are clocks to gather and there's a giant homicidal Mario chasing after regular ass Mario.

I had to go back in a few earlier levels to gather some special coins to access the last level and the contrast in difficulty is kind of crazy. At the very end, there was a last fight with Bowser where he had amazing fireballs that go through walls and shit. Then when I finally beat him, I was rewarded with a dance with Princess and a Tanooki powered flight through the credits. There was also a cute picture of Princess in Tanooki suit where it's like a fur dress. Cute!

Apparently, there is a secret level that unlocks if I play through the game with Luigi and get all golden flag poles but it really doesn't seem worth the trouble so I am done with this game. It was easily one of the best Mario games, up there with Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 3.