August 7, 2016

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Date played: August 7th
Platform: 3DS

I played A Link to the Past as I was watching the Olympics this morning and played through the game's second dungeon, the Desert Palace. Before that though, I spent a good amount of time exploring the world with my new Pegasus boots. These allow me to crush some stones that led to a few secrets. I also found other stuff because I was thorough in my exploration. I found various pieces of heart, that mysterious book on a shelf that had me puzzled last time, and a few secret fairy caverns.

As for reaching the Desert Palace itself, it wasn't nearly as complicated as I thought. I simply missed a path the last time I looked, so I went in and explored the desert around the palace. There's not much there though. I used my new book to read the scripture on a plaque near the entrance to the palace. This allowed Link to open the door to the dungeon and start exploring and fighting!
The Desert Palace
The dungeon has a simple layout, but has some pretty tough enemies. I actually lost all my health a few times, though thankfully, I had plenty of fairies to revive me. There are sand floors all over the palace, and enemies like to use it as a hiding place. This means that enemies appear out of nowhere quite often.

After gathering many small keys, exploring many rooms and fighting a myriad of enemies, I found the dungeon's biggest treasure, the Power Glove ("Now you're playing with power!"). This grants Link the ability to lift rocks, opening up many new paths in the world. The final boss was pretty cool, but kind of hard to fight efficiently. A group of three sand worms attack Link by leaping out of the sand floor. They move quickly and erratically, so they are hard to hit. I beat them, got my extra heart piece and continued exploring Hyrule with my new glove.

I found a ton of stuff... I traded a mushroom to the witch for some magic powder, though I haven't found a use for it yet. I found the leader of the Zora's, the water dwelling creatures who sold me some fins to swim in deep water. This led to the discovery of a secret island to the South-East, a wishing well. For every 100 rupees throw in, a great fairy appears and gives Link higher arrow or bomb carrying capacity. I also stumbled upon the ice rod, though I don't know what it's for yet.

The next step in the adventure is Death Mountain. Using my power glove, I was able to open the path to it and begin the climb through the dangerous caves and cliffs of the Northern peak. I stopped after a few sections here, but I'm excited to see the next dungeon!