August 30, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: August 28th and 29th
Platform: PS4

I made a few friends on PSN over the last few days, just a few random guys I played with. We ended up getting a 6 man group going for a while, and sometimes there were 4 or 5 of us, so that was a really fun experience. We also used a lot of voice chat, which always makes things more interesting. We did pretty well together too, playing about 8 matches. I played a lot of Reinhardt, Winston and Lucio, with a bit of Zarya, Mercy and even Tracer sprinkled in.

I'm liking Tracer a lot on attack, when we don't need a tank or healer. She's so fast, but also, her guns are very fucking deadly. I still have a lot to learn with her, having played less than 10 matches with her, but I'm starting to enjoy playing the quick little Brit.

So let's talk about another payload map, Dorado. The beautiful sea-side Mexican city is host to this great map, filled with lots of rooftops and places for people to jump and fly. The attackers begin in a large church building and the defenders are inside some kind of military base.
Dorado

The opening section of this map is weird. There are 4 exits from the spawn, which is a lot compared to other maps. There's a central exit, a rooftop exit and 2 side exits. On the opposite side, there is a rooftop for ranged attackers, overlooking the main street where the payload moves. There's another rooftop further back also, so this place is always crawling with snipers and turrets.

Then comes the first big choke point, a large gate. There are many ways around this one, but since it's a payload map, it doesn't matter too much, most of the battles will take place in the central area. This is a spot where Reinhardt works wonders, so I use him often when I play Dorado. On attack, Winston is ridiculously dangerous here, taking out snipers easily. I also like to play McCree here because of the long sight lines, and obviously, Lucio is always part of my lineup.  Zarya works well on attack too.

After the first gate, there's still a long way to go for the payload to reach the checkpoint, but thankfully, the defender's spawn is very far away, so the fights in the gorgeous streets of Dorado are often short lived.

Once that checkpoint is captured though, things get more challenging. There's another long street here, bordered by a big church on one side and a garden on the other. I've seen Widowmaker, Hanzo, Junkrat and Bastion cause really big problems for the attackers in this section.

The checkpoint isn't too bad to capture once past the church though. The third and final portion of the map is fucking hellish however. This is where I've seen some of the roughest defensive setups, which often includes a Mei. There is a lot of open space, many side paths and flanking opportunities and even a nice big catwalk for characters like McCree to use their ultimates well.

Last night, I played this map as Zarya on attack, with a Zenyatta as support. It was so fucking intense, that pairing was really strong for us and we had a lot of success. We actually lost the match, but I feel like I played some of my best Zarya during this match. Dorado is a great map, and I am always happy to play it.

Zarya with Zen amazing!