August 23, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: August 20th and 21st
Platform: PS4

I decided to try playing Zenyatta two days ago and found him really fun to play. When I last played with him, he was much weaker, but a recent patch has made him a better hero than before. While his healing is still lackluster, his debuff is aboslutely brutal, his damage is high and his ultimate is really useful during crazy moments. I didn't do great with him, but with practice, I think I might use him more often.

I spent some time playing on Temple of Anubis last night, so I figured it was a good time to look at that map in detail here. Anubis is an assault map, which means the attackers must capture two points to win. I really love the setting and visual style on this map. As the name implies, it's an old Egyptian temple, so it looks really cool.
Temple of Anubis
The attacker's spawn is a giant land vehicle with two exits, both of which lead to a wide open area. There's usually not much fighting here as the defending team usually hangs back behind the first big choke point. There's a large fountain area here that can be used by defenders to set up Torbjorn turrets or hide a Reaper or something, but it's a spot that never holds.

The choke point is massive, but it usually doesn't hold people in for that long. There's a clearing up top, perfect for Widowmaker or Pharah to use. It also allows heroes like D.Va and Winston to clear the choke point without walking through the gate. There's a little room off to one side that is a wonderful flanking route. I love playing as Symmetra on defense for the first point on this map. I usually set up in or near that little flanking room and hide my teleporter in a secluded spot.

The point is soon after the choke point, though there's another little bridge here that can be used by defenders to funnel attackers depending on team composition. Battles here can be fierce, since the defenders have many places they can use to retreat or launch a surprise attack. Most of the time, attackers will take this point if they persist.

On this map, I generally play as Reinhardt or Lucio, though almost any character can do really well here. I also love Winston for attack, and Symmetra on defense. Depending on enemy team composition, I'll sometimes use Zarya too.

After the first point, things get real fucking hairy... The final point is inside a large stone temple at the end of a relatively large room. There's one main gate to enter, and two side paths. This place is a real fortress for the defending team, as the point has many little walls and ledges to protect defenders. Bastion is a real motherfucker on defense here.

Last night, my brother and I played a few rounds on Anubis. On defense, I was Lucio and he was D.Va I think, maybe Soldier 76. i had just died to Zarya on the point, and we were about to lose it. Our team's Reinhardt was fucking around just outside the point, along with another hero. Right after spawning, I rushed in with Lucio's amped up speed boost and got on the point mere milliseconds before capture. This led to our team's victory as Reinhardt got back on point and the rest of the team was able to regroup. It was a very exciting, satisfying moment!

Temple of Anubis is a really good map... I love it.