August 3, 2016

Inside

Date played: August 2nd
Platform: PC

I finished Inside!

What. The. Fuck.

This game is absolutely insane... before I get to that though, let's talk about what I played last night. It began with a really cool segment where a violent sound wave would pulse at regular intervals. When caught in the blast, the boy would die instantly from the impact. I had to move from cover to cover to survive. There were times where I had to use perfect timing to move from one section to the next, including a great puzzle with a revolving piece of cover. It took me a while to figure out how to progress.

Shortly after this, the boy spent a lot of time in water. The naked kid with the black hair came back to chase me underwater. Again, there were many timing based puzzles here. For example, at one point I had to dive and press a button to open a large underwater door, then get out before the swimmer caught me. Then I walked to the other end of the room, dipped into water to lure the creature. This gave me enough time to go back to the other side, dive, press the button to close the door and swim past it, leaving the creepy kid behind.

The good times didn't last though. At one point, the creepy swimmer kid caught me and dragged me down to the depths of the water. I just thought I had fucked up and was dying, about to restart at the checkpoint. However, the swimmer kept dragging me deeper and deeper... Eventually, and I have no fucking idea how this happened, or why, but the boy had gained the ability to breathe underwater! Fish also seemed to have become friends with me, following me around like a dog would.

The swimmer had disappeared, and I was able to breathe underwater, so I explored a bit until I reached a bizarre room. On the floor were some blocks with a rope or tube attached to them. Now here's the kicker, there was actually a pool of water on the ceiling! And at the end of these tubes were mindless people, floating in the upside down water.... It was creepy as fuck.

I found a way to clear the water from the room and all the bodies hit the floor instantly in a gruesome scene. Not only that, but they were still alive and were following my orders, even though I wasn't wearing the helmet anymore. I think the swimmer gave me that ability when he dragged me down... There were a few puzzles as I controlled the people.

I reached an area where people weren't wearing masks, and ignored the boy. This was confusing to me, since every person I had seen so far was hostile... Everyone was running to a nearby water tank to look at.... something. I couldn't quite see, but I continued exploring until I found a way into the tank.

Then, it happened.
Moments before the "event", the boy looks into the mysterious water tank
While I usually don't care about posting spoilers on this blog, for this event, I'm making an exception. The last 30 minutes of the game were fucking incredible! Something absolutely insane happens, and it changes the whole game. It changes the mechanics, it changes the atmosphere, it changes the animation, it changes all the audio and it really surprised me. I was not expecting a sequence like this in a game like Inside.

Let's just say that the whole ending was a LOT of fun to play. It was also very disturbing. Oh, and it's pretty much incomprehensible, though that actually makes the scene better I think. Everything is so fucked up, it created confusion for me which made the sequence even more mysterious...

Inside is a very unique video game. It's polished as hell and has spectacular audio and visual design. The puzzles were interesting and fun to figure out. The whole setting and atmosphere is like nothing I've played before. Then of course, there's that final sequence which breaks everything about the game and goes fucking nuts. Inside is awesome.