August 22, 2016

No Man's Sky

Date played: August 20th and 21st
Platform: PC

I reached a new system, one warp jump away from the Atlas waypoint I received earlier. Having spent the last of my warp fuel, I felt it was a good time to try buying a new ship with more inventory slots on it. After chilling out at the space station for a while, I found that most of the ships that would be upgrades would require a good chunk of money.

So I explored the system. My 6 year old daughter was with me for a while, so she took pleasure in naming them when I landed. One of the planets was very cold and covered in snow, so she called it "Neige". Another had rocky terrain and long streaks of green in it's soil, she called it "Craie Verte". Finally, the biggest planet, which was filled with interesting animals and vegetation, she called "Multicolore". I just love to see how she thinks and how she processes information in this game... The naming also helps me as a player, because I'll easily remember the general vibe of the planet.

It's on "Neige" that I found my fortune, as the planet was littered with elerium and gold deposits, both of which sell for a lot of money. Unfortunately, No Man's Sky requires a LOT of mining, which isn't very fun. My daughter was optimistic though, she would encourage me, saying the reward of a new ship would be worth the long minutes of boredom.

She was sooooo right. My coffers filled with ore to sell, I headed back to the space station and made some decent cash. As it happens, a small ship landed in the space station. The ship had 4 extra inventory slots and a couple of decent upgrades, and it was just within my price range. It looks pretty cool too, since it has assymetrical wings. On one side, I have a normal wing, but on the other, it's kind of a short, curved hook that gives the ship a really unique style.
The orb inside the Atlas station
Armed with my new ship, I headed to the next Atlas waypoint, which seems to be leading away from the galactic core. As soon as I reached the next solar system, I was staring at a large, ominous structure floating in the middle of space. Inside the structure was a weird glowing red orb, pulsating. There was some text, where I was asked if I want to follow Atlas or not... I chose yes.

I will explore this system a bit, and will have to craft some warp fuel, then I'll be able to continue following Atlas.