February 3, 2014

Toki Tori 2+

Date played: February 2nd
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I picked up the Two Tribes pack during the last holiday Steam sale and Toki Tori 2+ was the main draw for me. This game is an easy to play 2D puzzle game. With direct control over a chubby little flightless bird, the game tasks the player with navigating to the end of each level using only two abilities; a tweet and a stomp. the tweet can be used to call other creatures towards the bird and the stomp can be used to scare them away, as well as stomping down on unstable platforms.
Charming

The game is VERY charming in every way. I must say, I was impressed by the way it looks. The graphics are well defined, very colorful and could be described as "happy". I made my way through a few levels, maybe 3 or 4 and enjoyed what I played. The depth of the game comes from the crazy environments and the creatures living in it. There are frog-like things that can eat smaller animals, which then burp out enormous bubbles that can carry the bird to higher ground. There are friendly craps that reside inside wooden platforms that must be coerced into going left and right. There are little creatures that repeat after the bird, effectively increasing the range of the tweet. Large birds carry friend and foe to their nests.

In one level, there was also an element of light manipulation where I had to ensure light reached the different creatures so that they could see where they are going. I even used luminescent butterflies to light my way. I like this game a lot because of it's simple controls, but complex puzzles. It helps that it looks incredible too!