February 19, 2014

Super Metroid

Date played: February 18th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 8/10

I recently lent my copy of Metroid Other M to a friend, and she was surprised that it was a direct sequel to Super Metroid. Of course, this led to a discussion about my shameful secret. I've never played Super Metroid for more than 5 minutes...

So I started Super Metroid. The game has a really cool visual style. It's grim, dark, mysterious and very detailed for a 16 bit game. The sound design is also very interesting and helps set the mood for the bounty hunter's adventure.

Samus had brought a Metroid back to the scientists and left, when Ridley, the flying dinosaur thing, attacked the scientists and stole the Metroid. Samus rushed back and briefly fought Ridley before having to escape the ship. She then lands on planet Zebes to recover the Metroid from Ridley and begin her adventure.

I explored the first area and gathered the morph ball, missiles and bombs. When I got the bombs, I had my first mini-boss fight, a Chozo statue that came alive. I had to avoid it's attacks by going into morph ball form and shooting it's chest. This felt like a truly classic, pattern recognition battle. It was fun. Now that I have bombs, I have to find the next place to explore.