February 20, 2014

Super Metroid

Date played: February 19th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

Holy fuck, this game is incredible! I played a LOT of Super Metroid and feel like I'm probably about halfway through, maybe a bit less. I clawed my way through the depths of Zebes, exploring every nook and cranny I could find. This led to the discovery of many upgrades for Samus's suit.

I found the Charge Beam, which lets me charge my cannon for a higher damage shot.  Also, the Spazer, a beam upgrade that shoots out three laser beams instead of one bullet. Then I found the Hi Jump boots that give a big boost to jump height. I got the Varia suit, which lets Samus withstand extreme heat. I found the Speed Booster which lets Samus run at very high speeds and blast through weak materials and enemies, provided she has space to gather speed. It also has a special ability that lets her jump very high after boosting, but it's been useful in only two spots so far. I also got the Wave Beam. which is an upgraded version of the Spazer and lets Samus shoot through walls. That shit came in really handy more than once. I got the Ice Beam, the best upgrade so far. It allows Samus to freeze enemies in place and even use them as platforms to jump on. Finally, I also found Power bombs, which opened up tons of new places to explore. They are also pretty useful in combat when there are a lot of enemies on screen.

Kraid
All of these items are awesome, but getting to them is the best part. What's really great about this game is just exploring everywhere and trying to find the right place to go. There's no indication of where you should go next, and there are many rewards for going back to previous areas. There's no glowing arrow, annoying fairy, no narration, nothing. Just a bounty hunter and her map. It's fucking great.

I fought an interesting creature, a sort of dangling ball of death I guess. I had to dodge it's attacks and shoot it when it opened up at regular intervals. It wasn't too hard, but after a few hits, it accelerated it's movements, which caught me by surprise and almost killed me.

The best part of my session was the battle against Kraid, a large, reptilian monster. Now this, my friends, this is how you do a boss battle. Kraid himself is very intimidating visually as he's gigantic, has large teeth and scary looking eyes. The battle was hell, though I did manage to kill him without dying once. I had to avoid projectiles while navigating thin platforms, then shooting the dude in the eye so that he opens his mouth. Of course, I would then shoot some missiles in his mouth. I was very close to death many times because I fell in the spikes below, so I spent a lot of time just regaining health by fighting the debris that Kraid shot at me. It felt great to finally see the beast die with a horrifying cry...