February 20, 2014

Super Metroid

Date played: February 20th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

I made good progress again today, gathering the Grapple beam, the Gravity suit and X-ray vision. X-Ray vision has been a real blessing in particular, as it allows Samus to scan the area and see through walls, making it a lot easier to spot secret passages and hidden power ups. The Grapple is really just a traversal tool, but it opened up a whole new section of the map, a haunted wrecked spaceship. Finally, the Gravity suit allows Samus to control normally while submerged in water, a very useful ability.

Crocomire dies
To find this stuff, I had to explore the depths of Norfair and battle Crocomire, a red lizard thing that I pushed into a lava pit with missiles. It screamed in agony as it melted there and exposed it's skeleton before falling dead.

The wrecked spaceship was pretty cool. At first, it's power was out, so I explored a bit but most of the ship was off limits due to the lack of power. To restore power, I had to fight Phantoon, a spectre of sorts that shot blue fireballs at Samus. It was a pretty easy fight, which restored power to the ship and allowed me to explore it fully. That's where I got the Gravity suit. I am now entering the depths of Maridia, a swampy hell.