February 7, 2014

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Date played: February 5th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

Kingston is fucking huge! I've spent a lot of time gathering everything in Kingston, though I'm still not 100% done. This includes 6 new songs for my crew that I'm really excited to hear, as dumb as that sounds. I gathered countless chests and manuscripts, completed 6 very normal assassination missions and grabbed a dozen tricky animus fragments. Some of these were a lot more trouble than what I've been used to so far, requiring branch swinging and wall jumping. Kingston has an interesting layout because it has Port Royal nearby that is technically part of the city, but is across a large bay. Edward can swim across, but it takes forever. Thankfully, there are little row boats available to speed up the process.

I completed one story mission, where I tailed the Governor and another guy because they could lead me to the Sage. I tailed them through the city, jumping on rooftops, hiding in bushes and killing anyone that got in my way. In the end though, I was discovered and had to fight a bunch of dudes. James Kidd was with me, but he had a different idea. He wanted to just kill the Governor, so I had to chase him down and tackle him. He seemed pretty angry but made Edward promise to lend a hand when the time came to assassinate the target.
Uplay's special outfit makes Edward look like a real fucking pirate!

Finally, I FINALLY fixed my online issues with the game by opening a ticket with Ubisoft. They relinked my Uplay account and now I have access to the social features, including the fleet battles. This is a menu driven mini-game that feels a lot like a free to play mobile game. I use ships in my fleet that I gathered from fighting ships in the Caribbean. I must send ships out to trade resources and battle other ships to make the routes safer. It's all very simple, but it brings in money, awards decorations for my house and my ship and runs on a real world timer. It's pretty cool.