February 27, 2014

Super Metroid

Date played: February 26th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Super Metroid.

What an amazing game! I am really glad I finally played it and crossed it off my bucket list. The first thing I did was kick Ridley's spiky ass with super missiles, missiles and charged beam shots. The battle is challenging, but not too hard. His attacks will hit every once in a while because he sometimes has an unpredictable pattern, but he doesn't hit hard enough to cause concern.

Ridley is a fucking badass
I then made my way back to Crateria, grabbing a few missed items along the way, to open the door that was blocked by the statue of the four guardians. That's where I made it through the final section of the game. To my surprise, I was ambushed by a GIANT metroid that attacked me. It seemed like all was lost, when it showed mercy to Samus, leaving her with 1 hp left. This was definitely the metroid that was stolen by Ridley. Soon after, I found Mother Brain's... device. A weird tank that housed the big brain. I shot it with missiles while avoiding nearby turret fire, before Mother Brain woke up proper and attacked Samus.

Mother Brain is a fucking disgusting abomination of a creature with no mercy. I fought her with super missiles and charged beams, avoiding her damaging, but predictable attacks, until she unleashed an overwhelming death ray of some kind. I thought all was lost, but that's when the giant metroid from before came in to save my ass. It fought Mother Brain for a bit, but died rather quickly. In it's demise, it somehow granted Samus a rainbow death ray that deals incredible amounts of damage, at which point, killing off the creature became trivial.

After Mother Brain's death, the whole base became unstable. A three minute countdown began with instructions to flee the planet as soon as possible. I ran, jumped, fought and swung my way through the last gauntlet to reach my ship and escape the planet. This game is a masterpiece that still holds up today, 20 years after it's original release.