February 10, 2014

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Date played: February 7th, 8th and 9th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I had a Black Flag weekend! This is the only game I played the whole weekend, and I've made pretty significant progress. The fleet has been an interesting venture for me as I started using it so late in the game. I ended up fighting a LOT of ship battles to gather new ships for the fleet (or harvest gems, the fleet currency) so that I could take on longer and bigger trade routes. The coolest part of the fleet stuff is receiving cool furniture for my mansion as a reward.

I completed sequence 6. Basically, Nassau is plagued with illness, disease and death due to a lack of medical care. Edward and Blackbeard decided to find some medicine. Our first attempt was to use a diving bell to explore some wrecks in the hopes that they would have medicine to gather in their stores. I thought that was a dumb idea, but it gave me the ability to go underwater and explore wrecks at my leisure.

Using the diving bell, I explored my first wreck and found some medicine, but it was spoiled. After this mission, I was now capable of exploring other wrecks, so I went nuts and did all of them except for two that are in the southwest area of the map. The underwater stuff is pretty interesting. It looks incredible and is filled with animals, plants and caves. Some of them had hidden coves where other pirates and smugglers hide. Others are infested with dangerous sharks and eels, which I had to fight off with quick time events. Others had spiky urchins that hurt Edward. Some even had strong currents that carried Edward where I had to navigate around obstacles at high speeds. I found a few upgrade plans in the process, so I fought more ships to gather metal. I ended up upgrading my swivel guns and mortars to max level. They are gold now, it looks great.
Underwater exploration looks amazing!

The next mission was cool too, I had to tail a ship through a bayou to try and find medicine another way. Finally, when it docked, I got out and tailed the captain through crocodile infested waters. It turns out that sleeping darts work pretty well on them. Finally, I was seen and broke into a wild chase through the area. It looked incredible and was tons of fun.

I was thrown out of the Animus after this mission and was asked to meet with Olivier, the head of Abstergo. When I got to his office though, I was asked to wait outside. That's when I was contacted by the shady tech again. He granted me access to level 2 security doors and asked me to hack a camera system to spy on Olivier. We discovered that he is working for the Templars (though it was obvious) and that they want to discover more about the Observatory. I spent the rest of my time exploring Abstergo, hacking into the computers that were made available by the level 2 access card. I found tons of interesting stuff about Abstergo, but now I'm ready to get back to Edward.