February 16, 2014

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Date played: February 14th and 15th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I think I've completed almost all of the side stuff in Black Flag. I explored the remaining areas to the south of the map, I got all the animus fragments and chests on the world map and fully upgraded my ship. I also finally took on the four legendary ships and was victorious! These ships were, without a doubt, the hardest naval battles in the game. Two of them were fairly standard battles except that the enemy ships had more health and dealt much more damage. However, the other two were a different story. One of them was VERY fast and had a devastating ram attack. I ended up winning with only a sliver of health left. I mainly used chain shots to slow it down and got in close to use heavy shots and swivel guns. The other battle was against TWO strong ships at once. Mortars were most useful here until I sunk one of them. Then the remaining ship ran me down at high speeds so I ran away and littered the sea with fire barrels.

Captain Kenway in all his glory
I also completed quite a bit of the story. I first met up with Blackbeard at his retirement spot. Before having a swig of rum with him, Edward spotted a dude that looked suspicious, so I tailed him, only to find out the English were just about to attack Blackbeard. After running out of the now fiery jungle, I got on the Jackdaw and fought the attackers with my ship. Blackbeard and Edward boarded the same enemy ship at one point and that's when it happened. Blackbeard was killed in action.

Edward had gathered a clue though, he found out that the Sage was on an African slave trading ship. We gathered intelligence by tailing and boarding an African ship and soon figured out that we could find him on a vessel named Princess. Unfortunately, Rackham felt like an asshole, as usual, and left Edward and Vane stranded in the middle of the ocean while he sailed away on the Jackdaw. Fucking asshole.

The next sequence was really cool, as Edward and Vane struggled to survive while marooned on an island. Vane didn't trust Edward anymore and was stealing his food. My mission was to find Vane and kill him. I trekked through the dangerous jungle, armed with only my trusty assassin's blades, avoiding Vane's gunfire and grenade lobbing, to finally kill him. Soon, a ship sailed into the bay and gave Edward a ride back to Nassau.

After only two months, Rackham had managed to get in major trouble and had to accept the pardon from the English . I took my ship back from him and went on with the search for the sage. This led our crew to the African coast, where the sage was hiding. I met him there and convinced him to help me find the observatory in exchange for my help in fleeing the area. I assaulted the fortress, killed it's leaders and brought the sage, Roberts, back to the Caribbean.

We went to work right away. Roberts was looking for blood vials carried by a Portuguese fleet. We stole a flag from one of their ships and pretended to be Portuguese for a while, tailing the ship with the vials in it. Finally, we managed to commandeer the ship, a Man'O War, and escape with the vials intact. I got to command the large vessel which has a lot of firepower, including some rear facing cannons. That was pretty cool. I'm not sure what's next, but I believe Roberts will show me the observatory!