February 17, 2014

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Date played: February 16th and 17th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Of the AC game's I've played, this is by far my favorite. The sailing was so amazing, it could have been a game of it's own. Without it, the story isn't good enough and the game wouldn't have kept my attention as long as it did.

In the last two days, I went through the story parts at an accelerated pace, as I was completely done with...well, the fun stuff. The story goes to crazy places. It started with a visit to the Observatory with the sage, Roberts. After stalking blow dart spitting natives through the jungle, we reached a weird building where we found a special skull. This skull can show what any person in the world is doing via hologram-like projections, provided a sample of blood from that person is slotted in. Roberts then betrayed Edward and threw him off a ledge. When I found a way out, my crew had abandoned me and left me stranded, tired of my esoteric goals.

I then spent some time in jail in Port-Royal... I was soon saved by an assassin. The two ladies of Edward's life had also been taken prisoner, Mary and Anne. I ran through the jail and managed to save both of them, but Mary was ill and died in my arms as we were leaving. In Kingston, I made contact with Adewale, my former quartermaster, who gave me my ship back and informed me he had joined the Assassin's Creed. Anne then became my new quartermaster.

Edward realized that he had to redeem himself. He had been selfish, overly ambitious and greedy. He agreed to help the assassins in their quest to rob the Templars of the skull at the Observatory. This is where the game became a simple series of assassinations. I killed Rogers, Roberts, the Governor and even his right-hand man through a series of copy and paste missions. On the bright side, I scored a bullet proof Mayan armor in Tulum, which really helped make combat easier.
The ending was quick, but effective.

The real world part of the game also took an interesting turn as the hacker turned out to be a descendant of Roberts, the sage. In the end though, this was really Edward's story. He met with his long lost daughter and went back to England. During the credits, it was revealed that Edward is Haytham Kenway's father, and of course, Connor's grandfather.

Either way, this was an amazing game in every way and I'm really glad I took the time to play it through!