February 22, 2014

Super Metroid

Maridia is wet and swampy
Date played: February 21st
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 7/10

For the first time, I got truly stuck in Super Metroid. I had to resort to a walkthrough to find the solution. In the depths of Maridia, I couldn't find any way to progress. I explored every nook and cranny, scanning with X-Ray vision everwhere I went. I found a few items, but many areas were blocked off or lead nowhere. There are lots of fish, quicksand pits and other aquatic creatures that hinder Samus's progress.

It turns out, Power Bombs can destroy glass, something I never even thought of. One of the tunnels I had used earlier was made of glass, so I blew it up and opened up Maridia for real exploration. I found a few upgrades still, but nothing major just yet. I discovered some invincible space pirates too, which makes me hope for a new weapon soon, but we'll see.