March 25, 2013

Plants vs Zombies

Date played: March 24th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 6/10

I have a weird relationship with tower defense type games. While I recognize their quality and find the concept intriguing, I'm never quite able to love them. I play a bit, level up my towers, make better strategies, etc. However, I never quite really enjoy myself. These games seem more like work than play in many cases.

Tower defense games aren't for me
Plants vs Zombies is a simplified variation on the genre and while it works, it still isn't all that fun for me. To it's credit, the game looks cool, has great animation and some very interesting plants (weapons).  For example, there is a carnivorous plant that eats zombies but takes a while to finish eating. You can place rocks on the field to slow down enemies. There are the obvious bomb and ice flowers as well.
The zombies are pretty clever too with some wearing hats for armor, some being faster and some even jumping obstacles.

The only really interesting mechanic here is ressource management as you are in charge of placing sunflowers and other plants that can generate sun which you use to build more plants. This makes the game a struggle between ressource generation and defense. There are also come cool tricks with daylight vs sunlight and even some bowling segments but in the end, it's still fucking tower defense.