March 20, 2013

Lego City Undercover

Just one more thing...
Date played: March 19th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 8/10

Finally, a new game on Wii U! I bought Lego City Undercover because my family loves playing with Legos and our favorite toy series is the City sets. Firemen, policemen, trucks, cars and little houses are tons of fun to build.

Lego City Undercover is a sort of GTA for kids in a lot of ways. You play as Chase, a cop who returns to the city after some sort of hiatus and gets back to work. A crime spree has taken over the city, led by Rex Fury. It's all really well written, well acted and surprisingly funny. In fact, while my three year old enjoys the funny animations and colorful characters, my girlfriend and I enjoy all the little references sprinkled throughout. Our favorite so far is easily a short cameo by Lieutenant Columbo!

I played through the first chapter which introduces the mechanics and world. It starts with a clown bank  heist, similar to the first scene in The Dark Knight. The game is really a lot like GTA; car chases, on foot chases and lots of cool stuff to find in the world. So far, it's been quite simple, but a few things stand out. The first is the cool use of the Gamepad. It acts as a sort of phone in the game as well as a detective vision visor. I had to stand up a few times to find things around me, it works well and is a nice distraction.