March 13, 2013

Max Payne 3

Date played: March 12th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

My buddy lent me his Max Payne 3 disc a while back so I decided to give it a try. I have only played a little bit of Max Payne 1 and liked it at the time, however, third person shooters have changed quite a bit since. The reviews for the game were lukewarm so I didn't really plan on buying it, but since it was free, meh.
Max is one seriously depressed man
I've played through the first three chapters of the game and while the gameplay is predictable and not terribly exciting, the story and presentation are really awesome. At it's core, this is a simple, cover based third person shooter. Of course, the hook for this series has always been the famous bullet time feature where Max dives in the air in slow motion and kills enemies as he falls to the ground. Honestly, this feels like almost any other third person shooter out there.

What kept my attention was the cool story, the gritty atmosphere, the characters and the cool presentation of the cut scenes. The game is set in Brazil and starts with Max doing some bodyguard work at a rich person party, overlooking the slums of the city. Soon enough, bad guys show up and try to kidnap some important people so I shot the shit out of them. The next chapter was similar except this time there were two girls but I managed to save only one of them. This included a fun helicopter rail shooting sequence.

The third chapter was a more hardcore with tons of guys being shot down. I had to evade snipers as well as snipe enemies to protect my partner dude. This seems like a cool game so far, even if the gameplay is a bit generic.