March 20, 2013

Max Payne 3

Date played: March 20th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Max Payne 3.

To quote Max, "I've killed more cops than cholesterol". This was definitely one of my favorite third person shooters in recent memory, mostly due to the awesome story and strong characters. Chapter 13 was set in the police station where Max basically shot every living soul he saw, good, bad and everything in between. There was a nice fight at the end of the chapter that had me shoot out the ceiling so that it fell on the bad guy and stunned him so I could get him out of cover.

Chapter 14 was one of the most violent sequences I've ever played. I probably shot down 100 guys in that level alone. It turns out that the last of the brothers was the one behind the whole scheme. Of course, with Max after him, he makes a run for the airport to leave the country but he's so powerful, that he shut down the entire place and filled it with an army of armored men. After numerous fire fights, I took on the leader of the army. I had to shoot dozens of guys without dying in an area with almost no cover. I only succeeded by using all my slow motion juice and shoot dodging all over the place.
Get some rest Max, you deserve it.
The very last sequence was an epic chase with a grenade launcher. I shot down cars, helicopters and an armored truck on the runway. To finish it off, I blew up the last brother's jet plane. He lived, only to be imprisoned and killed by inmates.

Max sets off into the sunset, having once again lost all his loved ones. Lonely, depressed, deceived and wounded, Max is still one bad ass motherfucker, that's for sure.