March 16, 2013

Max Payne 3

Date played: March 15th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played through chapters 7. 8 and 9. This game is really keeping my interest with it's gritty crime story. Also, Max Payne is actually a really good character compared to anything else in gaming. I think one of the reasons it works so well is the narration. Like any good noire story, Max narrates throughout, including during gameplay. It really adds a lot to his character.

Chapter 7 was all about Max investigating the slums to find the three kidnapped people, Fabiana, Giovanna and Marcello. It all started with a conversation with a cop in a seedy strip club/brothel. Soon enough, local gangsters showed up and I fought my way through the entire neighborhood, eventually reaching the gang's territory. After a dozen fire fights, I managed to find the three targets... but Fabiana was shot in the head right in front of Max.

Chapter 8 picks up from there as another New York flashback. It tells the story of when Max and Passos made a visit to Max's family's grave before heading to South America. Of course, the guys that were after us before found us and we shot our way out of the graveyard.
One last goodbye
Chapter 9 picks up right after Fabiana was shot and the bad guys left me with one dude. Big mistake. I obviously shot him and left. However, when I left, the city looked like a fucking war zone. Helicopters all over and paramilitaries shooting innocents left and right. After shooting armored men for a while, Max found Marcello and Giovanna...but again, he found death as well. Marcello was put inside three tires then put on fire. I managed to save Giovanna and escape though.