June 29, 2017

Snake Pass

Date played: June 28th
Platform: Switch

I've had my eye on Snake Pass since it's announcement trailer for Switch, so when I saw it on sale on the eShop, I bought it right away. This game is a sort of puzzle platformer I guess, where you control Noodle, a friendly snake, through a variety of colorful levels.

I played the first two levels. The first one was really just a tutorial on basic movement. It was very helpful though because this game is very weird to control. There's a button for acceleration, so that's already something different. Then to pick up speed, you have to wiggle the snake from left to right rhythmically, which is harder than it sounds. You can also raise the snake's head to climb obstacles and reach collectibles. Finally, there's also a grip button that makes Noodle tighten it's body around whatever object it's slithering through.
Noodle is awesome
The unique control scheme makes for some really unique gameplay. It kind of reminded me of Grow Home in a lot of ways. The second level was way more involved, with more elaborate obstacles to climb. Each object is it's own challenge, as wrapping the nimble but heavy snake takes some real finesse. It's a lot of fun.

The colorful world is a lot of fun to explore. There's great music, lots of cute things all over, so this is a very pleasant game. I could see it become frustrating  though, as some of the collectibles are real fucking hard to reach, and the checkpoint system isn't that generous. I love what I've played so far, and I can't wait to show it to my daughter.