June 20, 2017

WipEout Omega Collection

Date played: June 19th
Platform: PS4

I didn't really know what to play last night, and I didn't want to play too long, so I settled on doing a good chunk of races of WipEout 2048. It's too bad that this was the series last real game, because it was one of the best. It's got some of the coolest tracks, a great look and the different classes of ships for each manufacturer adds some variety.

But by far, the best thing about 2048 is the incredible sound design. I really can't play this game without pumping up the volume way up. They fucking nailed the engine sounds. They feel a little bit like Formula 1 engines, but with lots of distortion and a few weird little sound elements. On top of that, the thumping music and great surround sound mixing add even more to the experience.

I ended up playing through the entirety of the 2049 campaign, the second one in this game. The difficulty is starting to ramp up a little bit too, requiring 4th place instead of 5th to pass. The time trials are tighter and combat events require more points. I finally got my first "fail" during one of the time trials. I missed by less than half a second, but in a game like this, that's kind of a lot. I tried again and got it on my second try.
Zone mode is fucking glorious
I also ended up playing many Zone events, which are longer than most events due to the way they are structured. This mode is like the epitome of WipEout, minus the weapons. The main attraction is speed of course. In Zone mode, the ship constantly accelerates, taking throttle control away from the player and leaving only the air brakes. The incredible color scheme just makes the whole thing even better! It's also one of the best ways to learn the different tracks since you're forced to take every corner at max speed for all speed classes. I fucking love Zone mode...