June 12, 2017

WipEout Omega Collection

Date played: June 11th
Platform: PS4

I'm knee deep into the 2048 campaign, since that's the game that got the biggest upgrades and honestly, I tend to prefer 2048 to HD and Fury in general. I'm starting to unlock a few ships here, including the amazingly powerful Qirex fighter, which is slow and hard to handle, but has tons of health and strong weapons.

The Qirex fighter proved invaluable during the 3 or 4 combat events I raced in. Combat events are unique because they really aren't a race at all. In fact, they are closer to Mario Kart's balloon battles than anything else. The objective is to make as many points as possible by hitting opponents with weapons, or even better, destroying their ship. In this mode, there's even the option or turning the ship around to fire at incoming ships, which is really cool.
The Qirex Fighter speeds through debris and explosions during a combat event

The Qirex hits hard, so it's a really good ship to use for these events. I tend to focus on staying a little bit behind the pack, but not too far, then gathering weapons as fast as I can and shooting at everything that moves. It works pretty well. I also forgot that Zone mode was included in 2048, and it looks even cooler than in WipEout HD. I love this game...