June 26, 2017

Gears of War 4

Date played: June 25th
Platform: Xbox One

I finished Gears of War 4!

The ending was very satisfying and lots of fun! I started off with some good old regular firefights against a legion of Drones and Scions. After a few big battles, we reached the communications tower and Marcus made the call to "him". He said we would have to hold our position a while until reinforcements arrived though, so we holed up near the tower and used a fabricator to setup some defenses.

This whole chapter was pretty much bullshit, probably because the checkpoint system was a little too strict in this scene. At first, it was pretty easy. I had one big turret to use, plus two turrets I built from the fabricator. The first few waves of enemies weren't too bad. Lots of drones, Juvies, a pair of snipers, a pair of Pouncers and a trio of powerful Scions. That was hard, but it was nothing compared to the final wave, which pit me against not one, but TWO motherfucking Snatchers!

The mechanics for these enemies is kind of shit to be honest. It wouldn't be too bad if they didn't gobble up dying characters in their bellies... I lost this battle and died about 5 times, which is a lot of repetition. Eventually, I placed my turrets in a more efficient layout, which helped, but it still wasn't enough. In the end, I got through it by throwing absolutely everything I could at one of the Snatchers, including all my grenades, to take it down quickly. Then I was free to deal with the second one in a more "normal" battle. This whole part kind of sucked.

The good part was when the reinforcements arrived. As I suspected, the help Marcus called was Baird and Cole from the original trilogy. I wasn't too surprised the see the grizzled old men make an appearance. However, I was surprised that the "DeeBee" robots were actually built by Damon Baird's own company, DB Industries. DB, for Damon Baird. Right.

The guys didn't come empty handed... In fact, they brought with them some of the most impressive weaponry I've seen in the Gears universe. They brought in two gigantic mechs to chop down the Hive's forces. when I say gigantic, I fucking mean it... These things are as big as a Swarmak and taller than most buildings. In fact, they can even use buildings as cover, which was fucking cool.

The mechs each have one automatic weapon and a stomp attack. The rest of the crew was riding a nearby attack helicopter. I was able to request it's help by calling in powerful air strikes. We fought 4 Snatchers at once and cut through them like they were just a bunch of Juvies, it was very satisfying. I also need to point out how beautiful this whole level was. The change in scale made it easier to appreciate the amazing architecture and great artistic direction of the game. When I had to fight a Swarmak with it one on one, well that was just wonderful.

This was easily the most fun portion of the whole game. The sense of scale adds a lot to the experience, and the absolutely barbaric strength of these mechs was just so cool...
The final boss is about to get slaughtered

The final battle was pretty standard, but still lots of fun. We were still in our two mechs and had to fight a monster even bigger than our mechs. The burrowing creature had 4 giant tentacles that we had to target and destroy. Once they took enough damage, I would rush the monster and staple it's tentacles to the ground, forcing it to amputate itself in the process. Once all 4 tentacles were ripped off, the monster started sending out some smaller, flying enemies to target us. They took out our attack chopper at one point, so I went to it, picked up it's engine and blades and used the vehicle as a weapon and shield!

It was all lots of fun and looked great. Of course, we killed the monster and celebrated. Kait found her mother, and while she was still conscious, she was too far gone into the process of mutation to be saved. In an emotional scene, Kait killed her mother to free her from the Hive...

Gears of War 4 was a pretty cool game. The Xbox One is starting to show it's age with this game a little bit, but still, it looks good, plays well and has some really great battles. However, it's not without it's faults either... The voice acting is pretty good, but the writing is shit. Some of the battles were not fun at all, thanks to some weird design decisions. Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game, but it's not the powerhouse franchise it used to be. Now it's just a good 3rd person shooter, rather than a masterpiece.