July 15, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Date played: July 14th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 8/10

The kids in Ordon village got themselves in trouble... They went to explore the forest, and one of them got lost while chasing a monkey. Link grabbed a lantern from the nearby shop owner and went into some tunnels to reach the forest and find the kid. The lantern works with a fuel gauge that must be refilled at shops, but it seems to last a long time if I'm careful with it. I fought my first real enemies in the small forest area. There were some carnivorous plants and some goblins. I like the goblin design in this game a lot... Eventually, I found the kid and the monkey, they had been imprisoned by something, though it wasn't clear what.

Link in his wolf form and Midna
After freeing them, as I was heading back to the village, some weird magic shit happened. A large black creature appeared, magic walls blocked my path and for some reason, I turned into a wolf! The creature knocked me out and I woke up, in wolf form, in a prison cell. That's where I met Midna, a diminutive, magical girl, or maybe a woman, it's hard to say. She teases Link a lot, but also helps him by giving tips and tricks. I found a way out of the cell by digging and started exploring some mysterious canals with Midna.

As a wolf, Link can still attack and now has a dash, but he can't use any items. I solved some simple puzzles in the canals, fighting with small black creatures along the way. Link also has a special "spirit" sense that can be activated which lets him see the spirits of some soldiers. After a bit of platforming, we reached a room at the top of a tower where we met the titular Twilight Princess, soon revealed to be Princess Zelda herself.

I'm not 100% confident that I understood everything, but basically, the world has fallen into a "twilight" state due to mysterious forces invading Hyrule. With Midna's help, I must restore the world to it's former state.