July 23, 2015

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition

Date played: July 22nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Guacamelee!

It was a bit shorter than I expected, but it was very enjoyable throughout. I went through dozens of corridors and platforming, each more challenging than the last. The game is also filled with a shit ton of battle rooms. Enemies have been getting more and more difficult. Some of them disappear after being hit a few times, then ambush me when they can. Others have special attacks that can't be dodged.

The next boss was the dude who "created" the skeleton warriors. Actually, he's a group of three mariachis and they've made a deal with the devil, Calaca. Calaca promised him that he would help him find the fourth member of his band if he made skeletons for the army. I fought him in an interesting battle, where I had to attack each of it's three members individually while avoiding amazing "musical" attacks.

My reward was the coolest move in the game, the amazing Goat Fly move. This allows the hero to launch himself horizontally from walls and basically lets him fly anywhere there is a lot of space. It's incredibly satisfying to use, looks fucking incredible and is even useful in combat. I made my way to the next boss using my new moves. The platforming was very difficult and really creative overall.

At the top of the big snowy mountain, I fought Jaguar Javier, a luchador hired by Calaca. His fight was cool but relatively easy. Finally, I was ready to take on Calaca himself in his giant castle. This was a very challenging castle that required that I use all of the skills I had learned throughout the game. There were a LOT of battles here, each more difficult than the last. Eventually, I made it to the top and finally confronted Calaca as he was about to sacrifice my damsel in distress.
Boom-Shack-Calaca!

The fight was pretty difficult overall, though after a few failed attempts, I learned the pattern well enough to win. He starts off in his normal skeleton form, where I had to dodge attacks then counterattack quickly. After that was over, he took his true form as the devil itself! His terrifying new form is gigantic, fast and very deadly. He has about 6 different attacks and has a new shield every few seconds, so I had to really learn his pattern to damage him. It was a long battle, but I took him down.

Unfortunately, Guacamelee doesn't end very well. While Calaca was defeated, he had enough time to perform his ritual that merged the world of the living and the world of the dead. This also means that my girlfriend is dead... Guacamelee was a very good game that handles extremely well and has a great sense of humor. I loved it!