July 1, 2015

Rage

Date played: June 30th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Rage!

The Gearheads power plant was my first visit. I had to clear out the place and reroute power back to Subway Town. The Gearheads are definitely the hardest enemies to fight in the game, mainly because of their crazy armor and powerful weapons. I even got to fight a boss here, a ruthless motherfucker donning a big red armor.

Captain Marshall found information on a new ark that appeared nearby, in Jackal territory. The Jackals are the best enemies in the game. They don't have too much armor, but they use a combination of rushers, archers, machine gunners, snipers and explosives to try to take me down. They're also really cool in general because of they way they look, speak and act. Plus, they live in an absolutely amazing environment with lots of vertical action, including rope bridges, a gigantic ship wreck and a settlement shaped like a vertical cylinder. I kicked all their asses and found some data that will allow the Resistance to activate all the arks in the world at the same time, providing a hope for humanity to get back on it's feet.
Home of the Jackals
The Authority started sniffing around Subway Town. Redstone is missing, parts of the town are blocked off and clearly, Subway Town's days are counted. Before heading into the last section of the game, I completed all the side quests I had left. I revisited the blue line subway, the distillery and the Gearhead vault for a few brief battles.

It was time to take out the Authority. I started by blowing up some stuff on their big bridge to knock out their city's perimeter defenses, then I assaulted their city directly. The game turned into a sci-fi shooter for the last mission. A new weapon helped me decimate the Authority forces, a pulse cannon. This thing is an absolute monster in battle. It's basically a chaingun that shoots powerful pulse ammo. It also has a special ammo type, the BFG rounds. Yes, that's an direct reference to Doom and it's own BFG. For those that don't know, that stands for Big Fucking Gun.

I fought a bunch of Authority goons in their high tech fortress. Surprisingly, I also fought mutants that were equipped with armor and weapons by the Authority. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all that happened. No final boss fight, no spectacular display of explosions or scenery, just a good fight in brightly lit corridors. I reached a big terminal, held off the enemies there and succeeded in raising all the arks in the world. Then the game ends abruptly.

Rage is a good game. I enjoyed my time with it, mainly for the very cool aesthetics, badass vehicles, fun combat and the unique structure of the missions.