July 13, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: July 12th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword!

Two pieces of the Triforce were remaining in Sky Keep. After lots of fiddling around with room positioning, I made my way to the right areas. One of the rooms was a really simply battle gauntlet, but the other had some pretty interesting things going on that required good use of the bow and arrows, as well as a timeshift crystal ball. I made the Triforce whole and Link used his wish to seal Demise forever. In a really cool scene, a large portion of Skyloft went down to the surface to seal the hole next to the Sealed Temple.

Zelda awoke from her ancient slumber and hugged Link! But victory was short lived as Ghirahim appeared and kidnapped her... He jumped through the time portal with her and started summoning the Demon Lord by using Zelda's spirit or something. This led to a final battle between him and Link. I had to knock him off a platform three or four times before I defeated him, but the spell to summon the Demon Lord had already succeeded...

The Demon Lord, also known as Demise... Also, it's Ganon.
The Demon Lord appeared and destroyed Ghirahim to steal his power... It turns out, the Demon Lord, also known as Demise, is really just the earliest known incarnation of Ganon! In this game, he takes the form of a powerful warrior wielding a great sword. His hair is on fire and he admires Link's courage. He seems to really appreciate Link, even if he is the enemy. He challenges him to battle.

The first two times I fought him, I died. On my third try, I went back to Skyloft and equipped some extra heart medals and filled up my potions. I fought him in an intense sword battle, blocking, evading and striking when I could. Also, I figured out that I could get absorb lightning from the sky by doing a skyward strike, so that helped a lot. I got him down and killed him. The world returned to normal and Zelda decided to stay on the surface with Link. Skyward Sword was a lot better than I expected, though I wish it had more "real" Zelda dungeons.