July 14, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Date played: July 13th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 7/10

Having recently completed Skyward Sword, my daughter was really eager to play another Zelda game. Since I've never completed Twilight Princess, I figured it would be a good one to play. We didn't have a lot of time to play, but we still managed to do a few things in the first town.

Twilight Princess opens with Link in his village. He does chores for the villagers and it's basically a big tutorial so far. My daughter instantly fell in love with Link's horse, which we named after her. She just loved it right away. I used the horse to herd a group of goats to the barn, which was absolutely hilarious to my daughter.
Herding goats is fun!

I got a fishing rod from the kids in town, so I used it to get a small fish from the river. A cat picked up the fish and ran to the shop. The shop owner was really happy about that and gave me a bottle as a reward. I also had enough rupees to buy the slingshot! A mother had lost her cradle in the river. Interestingly, Link can use blades of grass to summon a hawk that can be aimed at items to pick them up or knock them down. For example, the cradle had been stolen by a monkey, so I used the hawk to take it back. I also completed a combat tutorial with the kids.

Coming from Skyward Sword, the game's graphics are definitely rough, textures in particular. The art style is nice though. Also, the motion control stuff is really shitty compared to the other Wii game... It handles nicely enough otherwise. Since it's an option, I'm thinking I could simply turn off the motion controls. I'm excited to play another Zelda game!