December 18, 2013

The PS4 sibling experience

Date played: December 16th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

My brother came over to try out the PS4 so we kind of tried every game I have. It started with an epic Resogun run, where I beat my high score, gathered all the humans on the second level and made it all the way to the fourth level without a continue. He played it too and of course, died quickly on his first run, but his second was much better and he managed to beat the first boss.

We played a very small amount of Contrast, Sound Shapes and Flower just to get a feel for them. We tried Need For Speed Rivals for a bit too, but only completed one race event.

In Assassin's Creed Black Flag, I was at the point where the game opens up and can navigate anywhere with my ship. I took on a few rogue enemy ships then found a small island where I was asked to hunt ocelots and iguanas. When I did, I was able to craft a new pistol holster and upgrade my health. I then found another island where I found a treasure map, some collectibles and fought some dudes.

Finally, we played some Call of Duty Ghosts. My brother is no stranger to this series, though he hasn't played Ghosts yet. We started with a story mission where the ghosts are interrogating Rourke in the back of a plane. It goes fucking wrong real quick as we got assaulted in mid air by Rourke's men, Bane style. He was extracted and we fell towards the ground. We landed in enemy territory where we had to be stealthy through a jungle. It was a fairly boring mission honestly, but towards the end, we discovered that the Federation was launching missiles towards and unknown target. We also played a good amount of multiplayer in split screen, a very welcome feature. The only real problem is that I rely on sound so much that it was very disorienting to hear all the sounds mixed up between his screen and mine.