December 15, 2013

Killzone Mercenary

Date played: December 14th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through three missions of Killzone Mercenary. I'm really liking this game in general, but there are a few weird things that don't really work. For example, the game seems to really want me to use stealth, but as soon as one guy spots me, it's a guaranteed firefight with multiple waves. The first mission I played had me infiltrate a giant Helghast ship docked on ISA territory. I tried to be stealthy, but it just didn't work out so I just shot a bunch of dudes in the face. Melee is pretty good too since the enemies have a tendency to get really close to fight. I bought my first Van-Guard system, a small attack drone with light armor. It was helpful in thinning out the hordes before an assault as it's quick, quiet and efficient, though it goes down very quickly and has a long recharge time. After hacking important systems on the ship, I made my way out, though my bearded buddy didn't make it.

Two years pass.

I am now on Helghan as an infiltrator that must disable an orbital weapons system. The mission was pretty straight forward, including many hacking sequences. There was a lot of fighting going on here, so I went all out and bought ballistic armor and grenades, both of which helped quite a bit. There was a nice sequence at the end where I had to take down drones to clear the way for my extraction.

This Helghan bodyguard was an amazing partner
The last mission I played was the coolest so far. I was sent to rescue an important family from their home. Of course, I was sent alone and of course, the whole place was under assault. In fact, the parents had been killed by the time I got there and I was tasked with rescuing a young boy. Thankfully, I was joined by his Helghan bodyguard who made tons of funny comments about working with a merc. The bodyguard was a fucking badass, wearing incredible armor and wielding a deadly minigun. We cleared out the area, including some annoying flame-thrower enemies and powerful dudes with rockets. I made it out with the boy, while the bodyguard was taken down at the end./