December 26, 2013

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Date played: December 25th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

Link is back in action, better than ever. While I've loved the Zelda series in the past, I haven't really enjoyed them since Wind Waker. A Link To The Past, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are the only ones I really love. Twilight Princess bored me on the Wii, though some of it's dungeons were really clever. I skipped Skyward Sword completely because 480p didn't cut it anymore, though it looked interesting. I even tried Spirit Tracks but it didn't hold my attention. However, as soon as I saw the first trailer for A Link Between Worlds, I was enamoured again.

The game does not disappoint. It's set in the same world as A Link To The Past, but after the events of the first game. Things have changed, but the general layout is largely the same. The graphics engine is very impressive, it has a great cartoon look, yet still manages to show minute details clearly. The 3D effect is the best I've seen since Super Mario 3D Land. The music is also very good and the first time the theme song plays, I got chills.
A Link Between Worlds

The game starts with Link going to work at a Blacksmith's, where a customer forgot his sword. I was tasked with getting it to it's rightful owner in a nearby Sanctuary. That's where the bad guy showed up, a nasty dude with the power to seal people into paintings. Link got beat up and one of the seven sages descendants was kidnapped. I eventually met Princess Zelda where I was entrusted with one of three pendants.

I'm now off on my quest to get the Master Sword to defeat evil once again. I made my way through two dungeons, the first focused on the bow and the second on a twirling leaf device that lifts link up in the air in amazing 3D. Both dungeons were really fun and well designed including some pretty cool boss battles. The big new ability in the game is to have Link blend into walls to become a 2D figure, where he can then navigate dungeons differently for a limited time. It's a really cool addition and opens up tons of possibilities for traversal and puzzle solving. So far, the game is absolutely awesome.