October 11, 2011

Eufloria demo

Those orange leaves?  They're spaceships.
Date played: October 10th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 20 minutes
Session fun rating: 4/10

The concept is kind of cool, the graphics are interesting, the music fits but I just couldn't get into Eufloria.  The game is about controlling little seedlings that are born out of trees that grow on asteroids.  You then take those seedlings to the next asteroid to make them plan trees to spawn more seedlings.  It actually felt like an RTS without the micro management.

The first two or three missions are just tutorials but the last two missions of the demo are real missions and involve combat.  Essentially, "Greys" are the enemy and the objective of the game is to balance your seedlings around different asteroids to both defend your colonies and attack the enemy's.  It works pretty well and it's a nice concept but in the end, it was just boring if you ask me.  The other little problem is that while the game has really cool simple graphics, I ended up playing the game with a zoomed out view all the time because it was more efficient so I didn't really get to see all the great details and animation.  This would work better as a portable game I think, I would play this for a few minutes on my phone or 3DS but I'm never going to play it from my couch.