December 27, 2016

Pokemon Moon

Date played: December 26th
Platform: 3DS

Santa Claus brought me and my daughter Pokemon Moon and Pokemon Sun! I am playing Moon, and my daughter is playing Sun. It was great because she's starting to read pretty well, so she is reading a lot of stuff in the game, practicing her reading skill. We progressed together, waiting for each other so that we're at the same spot in the game.

The new Pokemon games are set in the Alola region, an archipelago reminiscent of Hawaii. The kid and his mom have just moved there. It's not long before we learn about the island tour that all trainers aspire to complete. Basically, every Pokemon trainer tries to meet with the elder of each island and completes some challenges to "win" the island.

The starter pokemon are adorable! There's Rowlet, a cute little grass type owl with a bow tie. Then there's Popplio, a water type seal. Finally, there's Litten, a little fire kitten. I chose Popplio and my daughter chose Litten. We went through the first few sections of the game, fighting random Pokemon. We both have a full team of 6 Pokemon already!
Rowlet, Litten and Popplio

There's some story going on, but it's pretty light so far. There's this girl called Lillie who carries a mysterious Pokemon in her bag. We saved her from some attacking bird Pokemon, but it's not really clear what her role is yet.

There's a ton of small, simple changes since the last game that make everything so much easier. For example, selecting a move in combat shows if it's effective, super effective, not very effective or not effective before even using it. The interface is also a lot cleaner than before. While this might seem minor, it actually streamlines gameplay quite a lot.

I'm loving what I've played so far, and I can't wait to train and level up my Pokemon. Maybe I'll even be able to trade with my daughter...