December 17, 2016

Chrono Trigger

Date played: December 16th
Platform: Vita

Well, I did a shit ton of side quests yesterday! It began with a mission that takes place between 600 A.D. and the present. In some ruins, the ghost of Cyrus roams. Cyrus was a good friend of Glenn who was killed during the attacks from Magus in 600 A.D.. That's also when Glenn was turned into Frog. So anyway, we had to find a way to rid the ruins of the ghost in the present.

Back in 600 A.D., I hired some construction dudes to fix up some holes in the ruin floor. This would allow us to get deeper into the present day ruins. The fucking construction guys are pussies though, so they ran out every time they fixed a hole, waiting for me to kill the ghosts and monsters that lurk within. Eventually, I reached the tomb of Cyrus. There was a cool scene here which ends with the legendary Masamune sword being powered up to it's final form.

The next side quest I chose was in the desert of 600 A.D.. Apparently, the formerly lush forest was turned to a lifeless desert when I told a lady in 12 000 B.C. to plant a tree. We jumped into a vortex in the middle of the desert and found that monsters were preventing the forest from growing back. I had to bring Magus here to use water magic because that's all that really worked against the monsters. There was a boss too, and he was pretty tough. It was a giant skeleton, similar to the one I fought on the bridge earlier in the game.

After the cave was cleared, I spoke with Fiona, the lady who wanted to regrow the forest. She was grateful, but still didn't have much hope for the forest. Surprisingly, Robo offered to stay behind and use his robotic skills to mend the forest back to health! We then traveled to the present and found a beautiful, lush forest waiting for us. There was a new building too, a shrine to honor Fiona and Robo. Inside, I found Robo and booted him back up.

The next scene was one of my favorites in the game yet. The whole party set up camp in the forest and had a bit of a chat. Robo had a lot of time to think, and he now believes that the time gates were not made by Lavos. Instead, he believes that someone else is trying to revisit events of the past, though it's not too clear why yet.
The campfire scene
After the chatter died down and the crew went to sleep, Lucca woke up and used a nearby time game to travel to 990 A.D., ten years before the present. She went to her house to stop a horrible event... Her mother was always in a bad mood in the present, bitching about her husband and daughter often. It turns out, that's because she lost the use of her legs in 990 A.D. as a young Lucca watched in horror.

Lucca wants to save her mother's legs by traveling back in time to the event. There was a note on the floor that said the password was the mother's name. In the main room of the house, one of Tabban's machines is activated when the mother tries to clean it. I honestly had no idea what the mother's name was, so I failed horribly and had to watch the horrible scene. I usually don't do this, but I looked up the password in a guide. It turns out, her name is Lara, but I'm playing this on a Vita... So the password was actually L1, O, R1, O. That's bullshit.

So anyway, next, I went to the future to look around with my flying Epoch. I stumbled upon a mysterious cavern. The only thing inside was the Son of Sun, a big, dangerous boss. In fact, this was easily the most difficult battle I've had in the game. It was really tricky... At first, I thought water magic would be the way to go, but it didn't work at all. Every attack resulted in a crushing series of counter attacks that deal fire damage... The boss himself is surrounded by 5 floating fires, so that hurt too. I died a few times here.

After my first death, I equipped some fire absorbing gear and whatever else I had to reduce fire damage. This helped, but it didn't solve the problem. I tried a bunch of different things until eventually, I found that single physical attacks were the key. I had to attack the fires until I found the "right" one. This would then deal damage to the boss directly. The fires rotate every few turns, so I had to repeat the process pretty often. I beat it and was rewarded with the infamous Moon Stone!

I flew to 65 million B.C. with the stone in hand and placed it in the Sun Shrine. I then traveled to 12 000 B.C., 600 A.D. and the present to check up on it. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the present, so I looked around for a while. I spent a lot of time talking to the residents of the various villages here with no success... That's until I saw a shiny, gleaming light on the mayor's house in the southern village. He had taken the stone because he found it interesting, but since he's now a really generous dude (thanks beef jerky!), he just gave it back to me.

In the future of 2300 A.D., I picked up the now fully powered up Sun Stone! Lucca was able to harness it's energy and create herself a new weapon, the Wondershot! This thing is weird, since it deals a wildly varying amount of damage with each shot. This makes it very powerful, but also very unreliable... It's good enough that I decided to make my new party Crono, Robo and Lucca.

I got a chance to try out my new and improved crew with the next side quest... When I was looking for the missing Moon Stone, I stumbled upon a dude named Toma, and later, in the present, his grave. He's on a mission to find a special Rainbow Shell. His ghost appeared and told me to explore an island to the North-West of his grave. It turns out, the island was home to the ancient ruins of Tyrano Lair!

Surprisingly, most of the dungeon was still intact. Even more surprising, it's filled with dinosaurs! I fought many of them, through many different levels. The monsters were pretty rough here, but my new team was great! Lucca's magic is powerful, even if it's limited to fire. The real challenge was the boss though. The giant T-Rex is back, and he's meaner than ever! I dished out my strongest attacks and kept my team healed up and we won, but it wasn't easy.

I got the Rainbow Shell for my efforts, which was stored in the castle in 600 A.D.. It seems like there's more to this quest, so I went to the castle in 1000 A.D., but the guards won't let me in... I think I might try bringing Marle next time, she might be able to sweet talk the guards, her being a princess and all.