December 29, 2016

Final Fantasy XV

Date played: December 26th and 27th
Platform: PS4

Man, this game is awesome.

Our little team is still looking for the Regalia, but first, they must follow in the Oracles footsteps and find magical stones that are related to the Ramuh, the God of thunder. I fought some enemies and found the three stones out in the world, then the mission took me inside a pretty bland dungeon with nothing of particular note. That's when we received a call from Cindy. She found our car, but it's inside a large Empire base.
Noctis earns the power to summon Ramuh
This whole next section was weirdly stealth-based. I had to navigate around the military base while avoiding enemies, or taking them down with stealth warp strikes. To be honest, it kind of sucked. It wasn't long before I was just fighting enemies head on instead. In fact, I battled some pretty big armored weaponry. At one point, things got way too overwhelming, and I was sure I was going to die. That's when I was given the ability to summon Ramuh himself!

Summoning Ramuh was absolutely spectacular! I mean, it's rare that a game wows me like this... Ramuh fills the screen as he gathers lightning energy into his staff. The fact that he's taller than anything I've seen in the game so far adds a lot to the sense of scale and spectacle. Not only that, this motherfucker is so strong, he killed all enemies in the base in one shot! We picked up the Regalia and drove out of there.

The next chapter begins with text that explains that our team has heard of a secret, underwater port in a town to the south. We must head there to get on the boat, but I think I'm gonna spend some time doing side quests and other fun stuff for a while. I did a few chocobo races and am making solid progress in there. One of the cooler events had me run through an obstacle course where I had to jump through hoops scattered around the track. I also attempted an event where I raced against all 3 of my party members, but I lost. I'll need to try again!

I spent a good amount of time just completing side quests and hunts too. Some of the hunts were really cool and required some strategy, since the monsters are starting to be hard to beat. I also upgraded my Engine Blade to be very powerful, at level 3. I took photos for the guy in town too, and collected some dog tags. I really like doing hunts...