December 6, 2016

Chrono Trigger

Date played: December 5th
Platform: Vita

Soooooo much stuff happened!

In 12 000 B.C., I explored the small island where the Earthbound Ones live and found none other than Magus himself! Remember when Janus disappeared? Well, it turns out, he was pulled into a time portal during the events surrounding the Mammon machine. He was transported to the Dark Ages of 600 A.D. and grew up. He became Magus.

Long story short, he joined our party and pledged to help us defeat Lavos and find a way to get Crono back. This led us to the End of Time. We also discovered that the old man who lives there is actually one of the sages from the Kingdom of Zeal who got sucked into the portal at the same time as Janus. He explained that the being who gave us the Epoch would know a way to find Crono.

Jump to the future of 2300 A.D. where we met with the weird creature who gave us the Epoch. He says that he can help us, but that he needs us to find a clone of Crono. He says there's a dude who hangs around festivals that can make one...

Jump back to the present of 1000 A.D. at the millennial fair. I found the guy, but he wants 40 silver tickets to even talk about making a Crono clone. So I fought the robot thing at the fair that rewards 15 tickets until I had enough, then went back to the guy.  I then had to complete a ridiculous minigame where I had to mimic the clone's actions by pressing buttons at the right time. I got myself a Crono clone and went back to the guy in 2300 A.D..

With the clone in hand, the weird creature presents us with the next portion of his plan. He gives us the titular chrono trigger. It's a device that is supposed to allow us to retrieve Crono by putting the clone in his place. To get it to work, we had to climb the nearby mountain called Death Peak.

To mix things up a little, I decided to bring party members that I don't use a lot. I picked Magus, Marle and Frog. Magus is a new party member, so I wanted to see what he can do. He's basically a powerful wizard that can use all magic types, making him very versatile. He also hits pretty hard with his scythe. He's not as strong as Ayla or anything, but he packs a good punch. Marle was a lot of fun to use also, mainly because she now has a haste spell. That thing is real fucking powerful. I didn't like using Frog so much. His tech skills seem weak, making Ayla or Robo a much better choice for me.

Death Peak was a pretty good way to level these guys up a little bit. Most of the enemies are rather weak here, with one exception. The Lavos Spawn are like little baby Lavos. They hit real hard... The trick is to only attack their head and ignore their shell, but it was still a good challenge considering I was using lower level characters. After lots of climbing, fighting and exploring, I reached the peak.

This might just be the best scene in the game so far. When we used the chrono trigger, we were transported to the exact moment where Crono disappeared during the Lavos battle. Everything was frozen in place though, as if viewing a picture. So we replaced Crono with the clone and returned to the peak of the mountain. When Crono wakes up, Marle embraces him warmly and explains everything that happened. It was a very touching moment. The rest of the party was also quite happy.
Welcome back Crono!
We went back to Gaspar, the old man at the End of Time. He explained that we could fight Lavos now, but it might be better if we completed a few more quests before that. He listed out a ton of events that are happening in different time periods, so I'll have to go and hunt for these quests. I started in 600 A.D. and found Ozzie's fort, so I think that'll be my first stop.

I fucking love how this game is presented and how I have a bunch of side missions to complete if I want to. I can't wait to see it all!