December 19, 2016

Final Fantasy XV

Date played: December 18th
Platform: PS4

You know what? I fucking love this game!

I don't even know where to start... I spent about 3 hours playing, so a lot of stuff happened. I spent a shit load of time just completing little side quests. For example, I saved a few wounded Chocobos, I captured some frogs for the crazy lady, brought back ores to Dino in Galdin Quay and I found some dog tags for the soldier guy.

Along the way, I fought many battles against random enemies, including a pretty epic fight against a giant frog! I'm definitely getting better and better at combat. I'm getting new skills all the time for my team in the Ascension too, so that's been helpful. I also stopped to fish a few times because I enjoy it. While it's great that I'm catching good fish for cooking, I'm still convinced that there's more to this mini-game than meets the eye. It's rare that Final Fantasy has stuff like this where there isn't a hidden payoff somewhere.

One of the more interesting things I did was to compete in Chocobo races! I'm pretty sure I'm still missing some techniques or methods to succeed, but I still managed to win the first two races. These are one on one races against other party members. So far, I've beaten Prompto and Gladio on two different tracks. Prompto was easy, but Gladio took me a few attempts. It's really fun!

Later, I went on the most difficult hunt yet. I was tasked with killing 3 Mindflayers at night time. These creatures appear to be wizards of some sort. They deal lots of damage and are pretty resistant to attacks, but their key ability is to inflict a variety of status ailments on the party. I struggled to keep everyone alive, but after many careful attacks and a few more recovery items than usual, I beat them. It was a really cool moment.

Then, I finally decided to move on with the main quest a little bit. This meant traveling to Lestallum, a large city to the west. It was a long and enjoyable scenic drive. However, I wasn't prepared for the size of this city. I don't know why, but I assumed that all the cities in the game were small outposts, like Hammerhead. Lestallum is a large, sprawling city that is littered with shops, restaurants, a market, a hotel, a huge power plant and lots of traffic! I simply wasn't expecting this, but I'm really happy about it.
Lestallum is beautiful
We met with Iris, Gladio's little sister. She managed to escape the attacks and fled the city along with a few others to Lestallum. She was clearly very happy to see our crew, but she seemed particularly fond of Noctis... In fact, it quickly became apparent that she has quite a crush on him.

After learning more from her on the events following the attack, we rested at the city's beautiful hotel. The next day, Noctis woke up to find all his friends were gone to visit the city. Iris stayed behind and offered to give Noctis a quick tour of the city. I learned a lot of cool stuff about Lestallum. For example, only the women of the city work in the large power plant.

While that was all great and interesting information, it was pretty obvious that Iris was using the tour as an excuse to spend time with Noctis, and even flirted a little bit. Of course, Noctis has his own thing going on with Lunafreya, but I'm not quite sure he's in love with her, there hasn't been much said about their relationship.

Either way, after the tour, Iris left and Noctis regrouped with his friends. I spent a good amount of time shopping for new weapons here, since they had huge upgrades available to me. I also picked up a good amount of side quests, so I've got a shit ton of stuff to do. Finally, I got a hint from the others that escaped the attacks that there was a powerful sword hidden behind a waterfall somewhere to the west, so that's the next stop in the main quest.